Reflections on Racism: on Being Mixed Race, Part 2

Part 2: On being half-white in Leeds, London and Mombasa (2001-2013)


(For Part 1, click here.)

  • People still asked me where I was really from but I don’t remember personally being victim to or witnessing any obvious racial prejudice during these years ( (coincidence that these were mainly with a Left Wing British Government?)- a privilege. 

  • Enjoyed a full urban life and culture, never being questioned, ignored or insulted- a privilege. 

  • Teaching English in diverse urban schools without anyone ever questioning or doubting my ability to teach the home language or its literature- a privilege not always enjoyed by People of Colour. 

  • Living as a comparatively wealthy expat in Mombasa, being expected to employ a full time cleaner and own a car (neither of which I wished/planned for)- a privilege. 

  • Being appointed as Head of English (& Head of House) in a Kenyan Private School even though there were more experienced local black Kenyan teachers- a privilege. 

  • Enjoying the full expat life including lavish dinners, hobbies, travel and the company of global trotting friends. 

  • Although being seen as a white woman meant I also lost some privilege including being able to walk anywhere without being targeted and shouted at “hey Mzungu”, I got round this by wearing my Punjabi salwar kameez and head covered if I wanted a quiet walk to the shops. Double privilege to be able to choose. 


Return to UK, 2013-2020: a rise in racism but more awareness of my white privilege compared to my darker skinned British-Tanzanian-Indian husband. 

  • The first few months back in Lincolnshire, England- rise in UKIP under David Cameron- and my now husband comes to visit me. His first walk to the shops and a man shouts out “Oi Paki” just seconds from my parents’ house. 

  • Another visit and he steps into the local sports shop to buy some swimming and rugby stuff and he’s immediately shown towards the cricket gear. 

  • Travelling together is an eye opener. I’m used to being the one singled out in a group of white friends (although my mum thinks it’s because of my ‘bohemian style’) but my husband’s passport (with an Indian-Muslim name) is taken, scrutinised and his details interrogated. 

  • When putting in an offer for our family home, we deliberately used my (Anglo-Christian) name and surname to avoid losing out because of our family’s ethnicity. 

  • We’re very lucky to have financial privilege and this used to include hiring a cleaner to help out our busy family life, but I get so nervous and make sure that at least the bathrooms are cleaned for fear of one of the few BAME families in the town being seen as dirty!

  • When on the receiving end of being ignored or dealing with hostility, we have to consider whether there’s racism involved, including our young children’s experiences as they grow and learn from the world.


Phew. That will have to do. It’s exhausting reliving these uncomfortable feelings. But discomfort can be positive and necessary if we are going to grow and change for the better. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parenting in a New World of Walls

10 Unexpected Highs of Motherhood

The young, the old and the lonely, part 2: 'Babble and Bubbles' at St. Joe's.